Selenium is a powerful antioxidant that supports the immune system and proper thyroid function. Eating selenium rich foods is particularly necessary for women who have a hyper or hypothyroidism and autoimmune disease. The OAT ( ovaries-adrenals-thyroid) is a hormonal loop that exists in all women and plays a fundamental role in our wellbeing; mood, metabolism, menstrual cycle, fertility, libido, heart and bone health. Read more here.
As a rule of thumb( but not restricted to) Selenium is present in neutral coloured foods; bananas, sunflower seeds, nuts, garlic, onions, chives and mushrooms.
This recipe is all about supporting healthy thyroid function and immunity.
INGREDIENTS- MUSHROOM CURRY
● 1 Onion
● ½ red pepper
● ½ green pepper
● 1 tsp ginger
● 1 tsp garlic
● 1 tsp paprika
● 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
● ½ black pepper
● ½ tsp salt
● 1 tomato
● 250 g white button mushrooms
● 1 can coconut milk
● 1 handful chives
● Olive oil
INGREDIENTS-SWEET POTATO MASH
● 2 medium sweet potatoes
● 1 tsp mustard seeds
● 2 tsps mixed herbs
● ½ tsp black pepper
● Olive oil
● ½ cup almond milk / coconut milk
- Peel and chop your sweet potatoes into cubes and lay on an oven dish
- Sprinkle mustard seeds, herbs, pepper and a glug of olive oil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Chop your onions. Peppers, ginger and garlic then add to a well-oiled pan and fry for three minutes.
- Add all your seasoning and stir for 5 minutes and add your chopped tomatoes.
- Continue to fry for 5 minutes until tomatoes are tender.
- Chop your mushrooms in half and add into your mixture, stir and close the lid for five minutes.
- Add your coconut milk slowly while stirring and lower the heat.
- Close with lid and allow to simmer for 10 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Start with your mash by removing from the oven and add to a small pot while slowly pouring in your milk.
- Mash slowly while adding more milk.
- Dish up your mash on a plate and spread evenly and add your mushroom curry on top.
- Garnish with chopped chives.
Stay Warm! Share yours and tag us on Instagram.